Saturday, January 28, 2023

236(s) by Emily Dickinson

 

Here are two different versions of 236. How do the changes affect the meaning of the poem?

236

Some - keep the Sabbath - going to church -
I - keep it - staying at Home -
With a Bobolink - for a Chorister
And an Orchard - for a Dome -

Some - keep the Sabbath, in Surplice -
I - just wear my wings -
And instead of tolling the bell, for church -
Our little Sexton - sings -

"God" - preaches - a noted Clergyman -
And the sermon is never long,
So - instead of getting to Heaven - at last -
I'm - going - all along!

[B, 1861, Fascicle 9]

 236
Some keep the Sabbath going to Church -
I keep it, staying at Home -
With a Bobolink for a Chorister -
And an Orchard, for a Dome -

Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice -
I, just wear my Wings -
And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church
Our little Sexton - sings.

God preaches, a noted Clergyman -
And the sermon is never long,
So intead of getting to Heaven, at last -
I'm going, all along

[C, 1862, sent to Higginson]

No comments:

Post a Comment

25. "Moby-Dick" (1851) by Herman Melville Chs. 133-135 and Epilogue

  " "He raised a gull-like cry in the air. 'There she blows - there she blows! A hump like a snowhill! It is Moby Dick!'&q...